Have you struggled with falling asleep? Do you feel like you need help relaxing and not thinking about your to-do list?
Here is a powerful, fast and easy breathing exercise.
It’s great because it’s simple to do. You can listen to my audio clip and learn the technique. Then you can do it anywhere on your own.
Here is why I like it:
- It’s a tool that helps you relax quickly and easily
- It’s so simple that even kids can learn it
- It can be done without electronics
- It has a visualization component that helps prevent you from thinking about other things
- It slows and holds your breath, providing improved oxygenation
- Enables the body to go from sympathetic ‘fight or flight’ to parasympathetic ‘rest and digest’ nervous system functions
- Can be done before bed but also in the middle of the night after waking
In the audio, I walk you through this very simple breathing exercise. It takes 2.5 seconds to learn how to do it. Then you can practice whenever it suits you. The more the better!
The way it works is that you’re going to imagine breathing various colours in and out of your body.
While you do the exercise, I want you to focus on 2 things:
- The deep slow breathing and
- Visualization of the colours.
If you prefer to read the instructions, please review them below:
- Make sure your body is in a comfortable and relaxed position
- Close your eyes
- Imagine a soothing white cloud in front of you
- Now take a deep breath and imagine the white cloud entering all parts of your body.
- When the cloud has reached all of your body and your limbs, visualize the cloud changing colour to green.
- When all of the white cloud has changed to green, exhale the cloud from your body until every trace of the green cloud is now in front of you.
- Now visualize the cloud changing colour to blue. Inhale the blue cloud into your body, allowing it to fill all of the cells in your body.
- When every part of you has the blue cloud, visualize the cloud turning pink.
- Now gently exhale the pink cloud all the way out so that all of the colour has left your body.
- Now imagine that the cloud is orange, inhale the orange cloud into your body so that the orange reaches all the way to your fingers and toes.
- Then change the colour to yellow.
- Once the cloud inside your body has entirely turned yellow, gently exhale the cloud.
- Keep repeating this exercise with different colours, remembering to visualize the colour changing
with each inhale and each exhale.